Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Blog Entry About the Black Truck


I hate the black truck. It's not a good quality, hating something that really could never hate me back. So big deal. Nobody's perfect.

Here I am doing my bit for the planet, our family's budget and my general fitness, by riding my beat up old Minnelli mountain bike 7.4 kms to work every day. Some times it feels great, like when it's 30 celcius at 4:30am, and the road is all mine. There are rides that aren't as much fun though. Those are the ones where it's really freakin' cold, and/or windy, and/or raining and I'm late, and I'm so so tired because it's 4:30am and I don't really care how much of the road I can have, how small my carbon footprint is or how badly my kids would like to have a college eduction...I just want to drive the 7.4 kms in the luxury of an automobile complete with the soothing sounds of FLY FM, dry-non spandex-clothing, and enough metal to protect my general health from the black friggin' truck!

My bike has every safety feature demanded by the traffic act. I don't run red lights or stop signs. I stay as far to the right of the road as possible (except when avoiding the many counter-sunk sewer grates in Kingston. Not sure why these have to be six inches below street level, but it could have something to do with a concession to the auto mechanics who can only make their margins by replacing shocks and struts). I signal. What a complete nerd! I signal when I turn, when I stop, and even when I wish to communicate my observations about someone's driving.

I get so wound up about people who drive on the road like they have been given a permanent right-of-way pass.

The black truck. It goes really really fast. The turn signals apparently are broken. The brakes fail at all intersections. However I will admit that it does slow down a bit for red lights, almost to the point where there were several inches between me and it this morning when I was cut off riding through my green light at Bath and Days Road.

But this is not why I hate the black truck.

I hate the black truck because of the driver. He/she may totally disregard the traffic laws, care little for the future of our world, and probably feels no need to share the road with some skinny, sweaty man on a bike. But he/she gets to do it all in such luxury. Dry clothes. The soothing sounds of FLY FM.

My god, I think I'm getting Truck-Envy!

Keep it movin'

No comments: